Blogger Widgets When My Life Becomes a Book: Today....

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Today....

I went to the Doc today for a Workers Comp follow up and I was in there from about 730am until about 930am. They gave me a tordal shot in the ass (for pain) and drew blood (for liver and kidney levels from taking so many meds), I was having extreme pain and that shot, it really seemed to help cut the edge. My pain level has increased a lot lately in the last few months (I don't think some of the doctors and family members quite know how much pain I am in) and I think it has a lot to do with me doing nothing but sitting on my butt. My energy level has decreased and my muscle tone also decreased from doing much of nothing.

But, while at the doc's office while I was waiting for things to process I was reading a magazine and this article caught my eye called "Changes in a century". In
1907 these are the things that happened;

1. The average life expectancy was 47, that would mean I would of been dying or dead by now.
2. Only 14% of all of the homes had a bathtub.
3. Only 8% of homes had a telephone.
4. There were only 144 miles of paved roads.
5. The maximum speed limit through cities was 10 mph.
6. The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower.
7. The average wage in 1907 was 22 cent an hour.
8. The average worker made between 200-400 per YEAR.
9. A competent accountant could expect to earn 2,000 per Year.
10. A dentist, would make 2,500 per year.
11. A veterinarian between 1,500-4,000 per year.
12. and a mechanical engineer about 5,000 per year.
13. More than 95% of all births took place in a home.
14. Ninety percent of all doctors had no college education.
15. Sugar cost 4 cents a pound.
16. Eggs cost 14 cents a dozen.
17. Coffee cost 15 cents a pound.
18. Most women washed their hair once a month with either egg yolks or borax for shampoo.
19. Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.
20. Five leading causes for death were
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis.
3. Diarrhea.
4. Heart disease.
5. Stroke.
21. The American flag had only 45 stars.
22. The population in Las Vegas Nevada was only 30.
23. Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented.
24. There was no Mothers day, or Fathers day.
25. Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.
26. Only 6% of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Try and image what it may be like in another 100 years !

They say that there will be computers that would drive your car for you in 10 years, what happens when the computer makes a wrong decision? a major lawsuit...





Add to Technorati Favorites




Subscribe to "When Life Becomes a Book"


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What happens when a computer-driven car collides with a non-computer-driven car... what if the non-com is being driven by a drunk? What if the passenger in the com IS drunk?????

Anonymous said...

I have posted new story: The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity. Wielka Orkiestra Świątecznej Pomocy. /Version polish and english/ - WOŚP - Wielka Orkiestra Świątecznej Pomocy - The Great Orchestra of Christmas Charity is the biggest and most prosperous charity organization in Poland ; more :
http://himalman.wordpress.com/2008/01/10/the-great-orchestra-of-christmas-charity-wielka-orkiestra-swiatecznej-pomocy-version-polish-and-english/ ;
Please copy and paste this post on your site. This is very important for me !! Have a fabulous weekend!! -himalman :)